Process Technician - Molding
Position: Process Technician/Supervisor Department: Molding
Reports to: Department Supervisor FLSA Status: Hourly
Summary of Position
Under the direction of the Department Supervisor, the Process Technician will optimize safety, quality and machine up-time through continuous improvement and utilization processes. As a hands-on Process Technician, this position will require the individual to supervise and work with department employees to assist in set-ups, repairs, training and other designated tasks as department needs demand.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the second shift Molding activities on a daily basis
- Work as a member of the Molding Core Team to monitor daily production line with Safety, Quality, Performance; Troubleshoot and Resolve technical issues in a timely manner so as to minimize downtime and support continuous flow of molded products.
- Continuously monitor all operations and processes to prevent and correct equipment malfunctions.
- Works toward optimization of process control sheets.
- Analysis of scrap reduction (start-up reduction, defect reduction, transformation from cycle sheet to process sheet).
- Start Production on any IMM with process template or cycle sheet
- Responsible for analysis of molding department processes applying scientific molding practices.
- Perform calculations to apply a universal process sheet to all capable Injection Molding Machine (IMM);
- Set-up and maintain process monitoring on IMM
- Understand IMM capabilities to specify which processes can or cannot run in a given machine.
- Ensure materials are processed according to manufacturers’ processing and safety guidelines.
- Maintain records of process information. Responsible for the back-up and written records of the IMMs and revision control of all documents, procedures and settings for specific run parts.
- Perform set ups as required
- Perform mechanical and basic electrical repairs on IMM and auxiliary equipment.
- Operate hoists and other lifting equipment to handle and move molds.
- Identify equipment failures and communicate to department manager.
- Material testing is required.
- Setup Molding machines as needed
- Repair mold electrical, hydraulic or water circuits as needed.
- Perform Injection Molding Machine (IMM) performance evaluations.
- Perform and record initial sampling, validation, and execute DoEs created by quality, engineering and development personnel.
- Provide training to team members on internal processes and equipment operations safety.
- Active member of the Medical Response Team
- Assigned special projects as business warrants.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
- Completion of Associate’s degree or apprenticeship by a recognized technical college or administered through the State of Wisconsin.
- Five years of plastic molding experience in mold setup and process development (or a combination of school and experience
- Understanding of plastics processing theory which may include material structure, material types, effects of moisture on material (hydrolysis) and four plastic variables.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment with a proven track record of success is preferred.
- Must be comfortable using computers and applications necessary to perform the job.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Ability to work in-week and week-end overtime as business needs dictate